Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What gets me at Israeli weddings

It's not the happy couple, although seeing them so happy makes me smile wide.

It's not watching the parents look on with pride and the memory of their little boy or girl now all grown up.

It's not even the blessings given to the couple as they start their new life together.

What gets me - and brings me to tears, sometimes uncontrollably - is watching the boys call them young men - from the groom's army unit show up in their uniforms, and sometimes changing in the bathroom, watching them dance together. Hug each other. Hold on to each other as if they know something very deep we don't. A secret about camaraderie and dependence on another for your life, for days and nights upon end spent together really getting to know each other. It's the most profound experience to watch. It's so real.

And knowing DB is going through this now just gets me even more....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home