Thursday, January 01, 2009

The case of NED's missing Tanach bagrut

First, a quick explanantion for those of you who are not familiar with these words:
Tanach is the hebrew abbreviation for the English word, Bible. How do you say "roshei tayvot" in english?

Bagrut are the series of exams taken here by high school students in order to enter college. Like the SATs, but not really, like the NY State regents, but not really.

OK, so last June, NED took her bagrut in Tanach. Because she is an Olah Chadasha (new immigrant), she and her other olah friends are entitled to some leniences on these tests. One of the leniences is to be given more time on the test if needed.

NED was one of 5 or 6 girls last June who needed more time and were taken by the principal into the principal's office to finish their test. When NED finished her test, she asked the principal what she should do with the test. The principal told NED to give it to her, which NED did. In her hand.

Fast forward to Septemeber. The students are all given their bagrut grades for Tanach except NED. It seems as though they had lost or misplaced hers! But not to worry, they would find it.

About 4 weeks ago, the school informed NED that they had not found her test and she would have to take it over again.

BAD CALL! Especially for NED!!

This past Tuesday morning, their first day back to school after Chanukah, I decided it was time to advocate for my daughter. I called the guidance counselor, who thankfully is patient with my Hebrew, and was told to call the school to speak to the principal and a women named Michal who is in charge of the bagrut for the school. I left a message and waited.

Next morning, yesterday, I called again. Thankfully Dalia (see post Dec. 17) came yesterday!! She is really my angel! Michal called and began in very very fast hebrew to explain to me the issue at hand. I interrupted and asked her to speak more slowly. As most Israelis do when give that request, she said the first two words slowly and then went full speed again.

Did I already say, "Thankfully Dalia was there?" I put the phone on speaker, explained to Michal that I had someone here that helps me with hebrew and she should continue.

Well, Gd bless my angel Dalia. She argued my case (and NED's) with as much passion as if it were her own chiuld. There was no excuse and no real apology. Just, "The school messed up (the hebrew slang word is 'fashla') and it doesn't really matter what or who. NED would have to take the test over again."

Now, if it had just been me, I would have been terribly upset, and not known what to do. But because my angel Dalia was here, she told Michal that we would take this up with the Misrad Hachinuch (the school department) and get back to her.

Dalia called the Misrad Hachinuch and was told that the child should not have to take the test again, but we would have to write a letter describing what happened.

And so we did.

And now we wait.

And that is the story, so far, of NED's missing tanach bagrut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home