Thursday, January 01, 2009

ELy's sensitive head and belly

I think I might have fugiured out why ELY complains of headaches and belly aches every day in school.

She called today (again, as she does almost every day) to say she didn't feel good and wanted to come home. So I asked some questions:

Me: What are you learning right now?
E: Nothing, the 6th grade girls are teaching us. The teachers are in the office talking (I assume - and hope - she means they are having a meeting. Why they are having a meeting in the middle of the day, I don't know?)
Me: So the teacher is not in the classroom and the girls are being wild?
E: Yeah and when they scream it gives me a headache (She has expressed this complaint before) And my tummy hurts.
Me: What are the 6th grade girls doing?
E: They are just writing on the board.
Me: And so you want to come home because all the noise and craziness is hurting your head and tummy?
E: Yes.
Me: Ely, is the office where you are calling me from quiet?
E: Yes.
Me: Then I want you to get a book to read and stay in that office until the teacher comes out of her meeting. You tell anyone who asks you, that I told you to do that. OK?
E: OK. Bye.

She seemed relieved not to have to go back to the classroom and content to stay in school on those conditions.

Mommy detective work. I love when I figure it out.

Now the question is, how do I deal with it in hebrew? With whom do I speak, and who will listen?

The classrooms here are infamous for being uncontrolled and undisciplined. ELY needs more.

Although we have a busy home, it is not a loud one. She is the youngest - not alot of babies screaming or crying. She is not used to it and clearly very sensitive to it.

Now I undertand better and can try to work with her school and teachers to deal with the situation.

I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home