Sunday, December 07, 2008

Shabbat with my son, the soldier

I'm feeling better now that DB has been home. He arrived on Friday very close to the beginning of Shabbat. Just being able to give him a hug helped my anxiety.

He was like a celebrity when he arrived. One of my neighbors was at the train station and so picked him up and brought him home. We all ran out to greet him, as if we hadn’t seen him in months. He does not like the attention. “I’ve only been gone three days,” he remarked to me as I hugged him.

He looked handsome in his uniform. It could have been like a dress-up party. The boots were what made it real.

He changed quickly and came down to help – like he never left. But I was aware. Aware that he was different.

He is a soldier now. He takes orders and responds to them. He has a very regimented day. He held his head higher. He seemed more calm. Contented.

Over Shabbat he spoke to me in tidbits about his days (even though there had only been three), what he was learning, doing and feeling. He is very modest about what he is doing. He does not like to talk about it much.

On Shabbat day we had a Kiddush in our garden. Our friend, Yehuda, spoke about physical and mental fulfillments; and the feeling of accomplishment. He praised DB for his accomplishments thus far and assured him that he had many people behind him who loved and cared about him.

Ari spoke also about accomplishments; more specifically the ones DB has overcome in his life – moving from place to place and school to school. And how his perserverance has gotten him through.

DB very quietly and concisely spoke (because I made him!) about the feeling he had during the week of what and why he was doing. He felt proud and motivated, and understood how important being a soldier was to our country.

He informed me that he had signed a contract for another year of the army already – which means, he will now do 2 years of basic training, and 2 years of service. He trains now with a regular Nahal unit in Arad, learning all the basic how-to-stand and tie-your-shoes stuff. Then after about 3 months he will begin the special training for the Shaldag unit.

His being away now is no more different than when he was in Mechina (yeshiva). He will be home approximately every other weekend. I miss him being around, but have more of an idea where he is and what he is doing.

It’s just me and the girls at home now – with Ari coming in and out from work. Back to regular life as an IDF family…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home