Wednesday, December 03, 2008

My First Day as an IDF Mom

It was like most days.

Most of it was spent with MB dealing with her broken finger at the Tel Hashomer Hand Clinic. This was our third visit there. We know the routine.

As far as I'm concerned, the best part of it all, besides being able to spend time with MB, is that I get alot of my cross stitch done.

I am STILL working on Ely's birth announcement. I have made a counted cross stitch for each one of the kids, with their names, birthdates, weight and picture. I finished NED's for her Bat Mitzvah. I hope to finish Ely's by her wedding! I take it every where and whenever I am sitting and waiting or listening to a speaker, I work on it.

On Shabbat when I went to a shiur (lecture) I realized how hard it was for me to concentrate with out keeping my hands busy. Is that a sign of ADD?

I digress...

So MB got her cast off, although her finger still is healing and very tender. She has use of her hand now, as much as she can without feeling pain. We go back again in a month. Woopee!!

When we returned, we ate, I made my Shabbat menu - another full-house - and shopping list. Did 1/2 the shopping - not the produce or meat.

Sorta dragging. Just doing what I have to do. Not what I want to do. What do I want to do?

Made dinner, put away the groceries and went to rehearsal for over two hours.

Kept my phone close to me all day - just in case DB called.

He finally did at 11:00 PM. I guess that is the time they give the boys to make their calls before bedtime. And he called his mother! Good boy. I feel so relieved after speaking to him. He sounded VERY GOOD!


He's in the army for G-d's sakes! It's not camp - this is real! He is being trained to fight and protect. He got his gun today. A flat top M16. I have no idea what that means, but he's impressed. He described how his group gets special treatment. And it makes him uncomfortable. DB is so modest.

He's well fed. Not cold. Likes the guys. Day 1 and generally happy - although still not sure if he is coming home for Shabbat.

If being an IDF Mom means that I spend each day thinking and worrying about him until I hear his voice and he tells me he's okay, then I had a typical IDF Mom day.

And tomorrow? I don't know how long I'll be able to keep this up. It's draining.

Really.

Busy day tomorrow. Need sleep. My boy is in bed (or in sleeping bag in a tent), I think I'll go to sleep now too.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a big hug, for an IDF Mom from an Ocean away
Spaz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home