Thursday, March 13, 2008

It’s happening

Since Ari is in the States, DB is in Yeshiva, MB is sleeping in Bet Shemesh to rehearse for a school performance, and NED is in Mitzpe Rimon on her tiyul shnati (yearly field trip), Ely and I are the only ones home.

When Ely was born I remember calculating the years:

When DB would be 18 (graduating), Ely would be 8.
When Ely would be 12 (Bat Mitzvah), DB would be 22 (maybe married?)
When Ely would be 12, MB would be 20 (maybe married?)
When MB would be 18, Ely would be 10.
When NED would be 18, Ely would be 11.
When Ely would be 18, I would be 51!!! Geesh!

Well, it seems time has flown – as I have not been able to stop it – and the first calculation has happened.

At the time I did not calculate that when DB was 18 and out of the house, that MB would be 16 and out of the house and NED would be 15 and out of the house!

So that has left Ely and I – and Ari when he’s in the country.

It’s a strange dynamic. It doesn’t place Ely in the fourth child position anymore. The fourth child usually has to fend for herself and do what she needs to be seen or heard. Until now, I guess that has happened. But it is still so early in Ely’s development. And now she will become like an only child. Which I have no idea what to do with.

The house is quiet. It is neater than usual. It’s a VERY BIG house for only two people.

There’s no more sitting at the door waiting for the kids to get home from school.

It’s time I guess to start to focus on me? Gosh, do I even know how to do that?

Self-indulgent, my father would say.

It’s happening. It’s the beginning, but it’s happening.

Life is an amazing process of growth and changes.

Big sigh

2 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. Ris and i are doing that all the time NOW. Golly, when RM is AE's age AE will be 20! ber will be 33! You got the picture....
Enjoy the moment.
Love BB#1

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your father is a very smart man, and he knows a lot, but in this case he is wrong. Focusing on yourself isn't self indulgent. Only focusing on yourself to the exclusion of others is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home