Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Checking in from Florence, Italy

Today is Day 3 of a trip that just sort of happened.

I was invited.
I said no.
Ari said, "You're going!"
I'm here.

2 and a half days in Rome. ALOT of walking. Many sights.
Too many churches. For me.
Disgusted by the graffiti. everywhere.

Obsessed with doors and windows. Amazing art.

Trained to Florence.
Took a short night stroll around the city.
Can't wait to see it by daylight.

This trip reminds me of the time Ari "let" me spend several nights at a hotel in Maine, by myself, so I could write my thesis.
That was a gift from Ari. It was hard for me to be alone without feeling guilty.

Self-indulgence was something I was taught I am not supposed to enjoy. Not sure why. But it was very clear: work and responsibility are the priority.

Having fun, enjoy myself, not allowed. I exaggerate the message for myself, i know.

Very hard for me to fight it. Fight the counter message -- TO LIVE. TO ENJOY.

TO HAVE SOME FUN!!!!

I am enjoying myself. I am thankful to Emily - and her Uncle! Still not sure why she asked me. And I don't know how I will ever be able to thank either of them properly.

Because this is not just a trip to Italy.

It is a trip back to myself....

1 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Tour Italy Now said...

It's always good to enjoy a trip and take it as a self-reflection. So generous of your Ari. I also wish to take a trip to Italy and experience what you are feeling and seeing and hearing and everything :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home