Monday, September 03, 2007

Reflection

I was on the phone with the mother of one of Ely’s friends today trying to figure out a carpool to gymnastics for this week. Then she called back to discuss how many classes they were going to miss because of the holidays. I hung up and routinely walked into my bathroom.

In the mirror I saw a reflection of someone I almost didn’t recognize.

My hair wasn’t covered (with no one home these days and the heat, I usually don’t wear a hat in the house) and something about how I saw myself was different.

How could it be that that funky chick in the mirror has a daughter that she is responsible for?

Who I saw was a teenage girl from 10th grade. Reflecting back to me in the mirror was not a 41 year old mother of three teenagers and a 7 year old.

Sometimes I confuse myself.

When did I grow up and have a reality that carries so much responsibility?

Reflections can really tell you a lot if you look closely enough.

sigh

3 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will always be our "funky daughter", just abit more sophisticated and beautiful inside and out! How I know that feeling--- I still want to be a dancer in a chorus line at the Kiel Auditorium! Memories are great,but we are so blessed to have second chances again and again---Thank you Hashem----

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SB, I have a picture from my high school graduation stuck into the frame of the mirror in our bedroom. When i pass by i look at the picture, at myself in the mirror, and think...Who is that person looking back at me?! Perhaps it just goes to show that our trueness is really what we are inside-not this shell we live in for 70-80-90-100 years. Still, it is disconcerting.
I'd like to add to Mom's second chances comment...not only do we have those but Hashem gives us such wonderful opportunities everyday to grow, change, live Life to its fullest, and plan for happy times - may we continue to share in many more of those.
Love,
Big Brother #1

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger MOD Director said...

"Growing up" and being responsible have nothing to do with each other. :) BB#2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home