Sunday, July 29, 2007

Been there, done that

I was at a simcha today and had an experience I wanted to share:

Not because I want to complain or tattle, but more because I want to brag and be thankful!

I was shmoozing with a group of our friends, sitting next to one of the wives, when her husband walked over and said, "I've been looking for you." (Talking to his wife.)

"Oh yeah, right," she answered, "You've looked real hard. I've been sitting here the whole time."

He defended himself, "I just walked around the entire house looking for you, should I tell you everywhere I've been?"

They continued for a few minutes more.

I felt uncomfortable. I wanted to tell them to let it go. What's the big deal?

And then I realized, Ari and I USED TO have the same stupid argument! And I don't need to have it anymore.

I wonder what it is in this couple's chidhood wounds that makes them need to have this argument - especially in front of other people?!

Ari and I have worked so hard on our relationship. B"H, it feels so much better!

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger Ephraim said...

LOL! In yeshivah, they make being married sound like the icing on the cake of life. It's strange, the kind of shtuyot people think of to argue about when they are with each other 24/7. So I guess insecurity is one more thing not to look for in a shidduch.

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evan - marriage is not the icing on the cake - it's the ingredients of life, friendship and much more. Marriage is a lot of hard work and compromise but if you throw in respect, affection, thoughtfulness, appreciation, taking an interest, and not taking each other for granted, then you may end up with a loving and successful marriage.

Sara, Perhaps if your friends were aware of the work that you and your husband have done with each other, it would encourage that couple to seek out counseling themselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home