Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Israel, Baseball and Me

The Israel Baseball League has arrived and begun it's summer season here.

As most of you know, I grew up with three brothers, only boy cousins, lots of uncles and two grandfathers (thank Gd). Sports was/were a very big part of our time together. Playing and watching.

My memories mostly involve listening to baseball on the radio with Grandpa Marvin, watching football on TV and playing it in my backyard. Dad liked watching basketball.

Baseball was never my favorite. Kinda boring. I always loved football the most.

After Ari and I got married, we would go to a game now and then. We saw college hockey, the Boston Celtics and the Red Sox. I was one of those fans that wouldn't sit down. Once I was at the game, I got into it and there was no keeping me quiet.

Last week was the Opening Game for the Israel Baseball League. I don't know how involved we would have been if our very dear friend/big brother Dovid Green wouldn't have been drafted to the Petach Tikvah Pioneers. But because Dovid is here and we want to support him, we/I have gone to a couple of games already. I organized a group of over 130 fans from our yishuv to attend the Opening Game. And I embarassed my daughters terribly by yelling too much!

The Pioneers aren't doing so great as a team, but no matter. It's been a blast going to these games and cheering on the boys who came from all over the world to play pro-baseball in Israel. I get to yell and clap and laugh, relax, and hang out at the ballpark.

What could be bad?

I certainly have the time this summer. I'm so incredibly proud of Dovid I can't even explain! (Unfortunately he hurt his back so he hasn't really played - yet.)

So this summer, I'm learning more of the rules of baseball, baking cookies for the players, and yelling, "Hey batter batter batter batter...swing!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home