Thursday, November 08, 2007

Looking for my "old" friend

November 7th is one of those days I always remember.

It is the birthday of two of my childhood friends - two friends, who never met, but were a very important part of my childhood life.

Carrie and I met in 2nd grade when I moved to Yellow Springs from Thailand. Carrie lived in Cloverhill, up the street and around the corner (a bike ride away). Carrie and I did everything together. She went to synagogue with me on Saturday and I would go to church with her on Sunday. We had more sleepovers than any two little girls could have. And we were trick or treating and bike riding partners. Carrie and I were best friends until her family moved to Florida in 6th grade. I missed her very much. When Carrie moved, I was very sad. Before Ari and I moved to Israel, my parents had a goodbye party for us. Carrie left her family and came to Baltimore. We hadn’t seen each other in over 20 years. We kept in touch. And still do. I love that!

When I moved to TJ in 7th grade, I met a lot of new kids. Lori Miller was one of them. Lori lived on base. She was an army brat just like me. Lori was also religious and would take me to church with her. Lori had a boyfriend. A couple of them. I was always the middle-man. The side kick. We were good friends. We had a solid adolescent friendship. She was much more mature than me, and she still liked me. We did a lot together. Lori joined us on family trips. We spent our summers at the pool together. Then Lori moved. I think it was the end of 9th grade. She moved out west. She came back to Frederick when Sharon got married. She and Julius sang “Endless Love” at the reception. That was the last time I saw her. I know Lori married a minister. We tried, but we lost touch. I do not remember her married name. Don’t know how to find her now.

I watch my daughters and wonder which of their friends they will stay in touch with?

Today is Carrie’s birthday and Lori’s birthday.

Childhood memories.

Happy Birthday “old” friends!

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I tell you how much I agree?! I dont' know how we have remained friends after all these years - but it is special! So far, I don't think either of my girls have friends that would remain as we have! :) Pretty cool! Your blog really made me smile!!!

 
At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, Sarah Beth---Good Memories of past friends---Love that !! Hugs, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home