Sunday, December 11, 2011

Leaving Facebook

I did an experiment for myself last week.

I made no profile post updates on Facebook for a week, and checked my newsfeed only one time a day, really only looking for specific messages (like Glee updates!!) and sent birthday messages.

NO ONE knew I was gone. No one commented. No one wondered where I was.
Which didn't upset me. It just made me realize that I need Facebook more than my friends on Facebook need me.

So I thought about it. What do I need so much from Facebook?
Is it the FOMO feeling my kids talk about all the time? (FOMO = Fear Of Missing Out)
Or is it the feeling of wanting attention. People to know I'm there.

I've been working on that alot. Knowing I am here without having to get the feedback all the time.

Just needing to learn to fill up my own cup.

So I made the decision not to depend on Facebook. Stop checking.

Go back to email.

And even more important for me -- blog more.

So, hopefully, I'm back to writing again!

3 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spaz,
I check it once or twice a day. i hardly ever put updates and when I do, they are something special. FB is fun but it doesn't rule my world...it's nice to see what others are doing and talking about, or just checking up on each other....but I love your "blogs" with meat...not the fluffy stuffy ones....I'll read anything you write! Hugs!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Lady Tobi said...

Once again Sarah you have written about something that I have gone through exactly. I had/have the same feelings and thoughts about my facebook use awhile back and I also left facebook for almost a month. I came back just to say thank you to someone and of course got caught up in it all again and sucumbed to the feeling of "missing out" if I didn't stay on. My reasons are the same as you stated and I too am trying to work on not needing or wanting to be noticed so much by others, etc. It's funny I actually did say to myself last week, "Sarah hasn't posted anything recently, she must be busy helping people." I mean it, I really did. I'm glad you are going to blog more, I love reading this.

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish Blogger had a "like button". I definitely understand and connect with you on this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home