Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Kids ask the darndest things

You would think that by my fourth kid I would have figured out the best way to answer the question, "Mommy, how does a baby get in your tummy?!"
But when it comes unexpectedly from the sweet high-pitched voice of your gigantic brown-eyed four-year-old, any meaningful answers just evade you. Or at least me!!
These last couple weeks without having any male presence in the house has been an experience for me! I never realized how the dynamics of our family totally depended on the presence of my son and husband! To say that I miss DB around here is an understatement. I miss his predictable responsibility and sense of maturity. I miss his sense of humor and ability to make any tense situation silly. On the other hand, it has brought me closer to my girls. I have made sure to take the time to sit with each of them on the couch, when they get home from school, and check in.
Listen. Hug. Be.
So when Ely came home from gan yesterday, we had a sweet reunion on the couch. She gave me the "big hug" I had asked for and then sat back to look at me more closely.
The unfortunate reality of my protruding belly (NOT PREGNANT!!! JUST FAT!
I PROMISE! and cause for a whole different blog!) caught her fascination. She began to play drums, and surprised me with, "Hi baby."
The progression went something like this:

"Mommy, I want you to have a baby. I want you to have one right now! I want a brother. No, a sister. I'm going to take it to gan with me and take care of it." More patting. " I want you to get one in your tummy right now." pause. "How does a baby get in your tummy?"

Quick. Think. What do all the parenting books say? How should I answer her? What is she really asking?!

Wanna know what I answered?
In this order:
"It's magic."
"Hashem makes magic."
"Hashem makes you get a baby in your tummy."

OK. That was it. Off my lap and back to her dolls. Was it the right answer? Could I have done better? Maybe... but it was good enough for her!




5 Comments:

At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great reading SB! Keep it up.
Love
your Big Brother

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, my God, when I read your answer I almost spit out my Coke, I was so surprised and amused. I'm laughing so hard. You are too funny.
Sarah

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spaz
You're a trip!! Love You.
Spaz

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and the survey says... MAGIC! Good answer!!! dingdingdingding!

I couldn't have come up with a better answer.

David
www.treppenwitz.com

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - it's Lisa Silverman. It's good to see what you're writing, it's more like having you around - I miss you. Especially this time of year. I first met you on Rosh Hashana. This is a hard time of year for me in general, you're not the only one bawling at inappropriate times. I have stuck days too, but you're doing a great job. And... not sure what answer Ely needed, but magic works, I guess. :) I can't believe she's so old!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home