Thursday, December 23, 2004

Why do I blog?

My Big Brother (BB) left me a comment asking if I write for you or for me.

I haven't really formulated it all completely in my head yet, but I will give you what I've got up there for now.

I love to write. I have been keeping journals since I was in 7th grade. My very first entry was written on a Friday night, actually. I had just come back from Friday night roller skating at Skater's World. The journal entry was all about when (I'll change the name so I don't possibly embarrass someone) John Sherry, whom I had a huge crush on, asked me to couples skate with him. I had been waiting for weeks for him to ask me, but when he finally did, I skated straight for the girls bathroom, locked myself in a stall and cried until my best friend, Lori, came to console me.

I found my journal to be my closest confidante. It was the only "pair of ears" I could trust back then! And boy did I talk it's ears off!!

I wrote regularly for over 8 years. In college, it slowed down, and then picked back up again after I got married and started having children. I wrote with a group of amazing women - I wonder where they all are today - in a parenting writing group for 3 years, I think. I have journals full of stuff about my kids when they were little.

And then, somehow after I wrote my Masters Thesis, I lost the interest to write. It wasn't that I didn't want to, it was just too much effort and I was afraid to read what I had written. My thesis was largely based on writings from my old journals and I found that whole experience, albeit empowering, really hard to remake. I know this doesn't make much sense. I guess this is the first time I've really thought about it and it's not 100% clear in my head either.

So I'll move on.

When I found out about this blogging stuff, I thought, hey, I can keep in touch with my family and friends in the states and express myself creatively at the same time. Being "witnessed" in my writing makes it much more validating. I think that's why the comment section is so nice. As I have written before, I know people are reading because my counter is going up, but I don't always know who.

I have slowly begun to "meet" other very interesting people through my blog. I love the creativity of words and find that I'm not the only one who enjoys expressing herself through the written word.

So, BB, in short, I write for me and you. I write because it helps me and I enjoy it. And I write because it helps you (to be in touch with me and to know what and how I am doing) and (from what I read and hear) you enjoy it too!

I miss my family.
I miss my friends.
I feel close to them here.
I can tell my story here.
Little by little I can make sense of my world through my writing.

On a lighter note...

I'm off to the Ein Gedi Spa (at the Dead Sea) tomorrow with my "oldest friend" living in Israel. We've known each other since 2nd grade. It's time for some girl bonding (and relaxing!) I guess it's not all bad when Ari is away! :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for coming and reading.

And, as always, feel free to let me know you came!!

4 Comments:

At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SB, This phrase made it clear to me. "Being "witnessed" in my writing makes it much more validating. I think that's why the comment section is so nice."
Here's to you kid!
Glad to hear you're spending quality time with our "sister".
Love
BB

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I was here!
Love you!
XOXOXOXO

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spaz
I feel closer to you now more than ever,through your BLOGS, I also am getting to know your kids for the first time since distance kept us away....
distance Maryland to Mass., funny huh? Now it's Maryland to Eretz Yisrael and we're more in touch....Keep writing... I look forward to reading what's going on in your lives.
Spaz
p.s. In the next week or so, watch the mail for a little b-day surprise for Ely.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Devora:-) said...

Your blogs always put a smile on my face! XOXO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home