Thursday, January 06, 2005

Happy Half Birthday to me!

Today I am 38 and a half. Moving closer to 39, and then 40. I used to love remembering my half birthday. Now? I just let it happen. My first half birthday after we got married, Ari gave me a pair of slippers. I remember that.

My half birthday is also my oldest nephew's real birthday. Happy Birthday Ber!!

To be truthful, I totally didn't realize what day it was until Ari came home for dinner and reminded me. I spent my day as Mommy nurse, playmate, cookie maker, project maker, nap taker, book reader, and TLC giver. All that because Ely stayed home from gan with a fever. She desperately wanted to go, but her eyes told me otherwise. It was one of those, "Mommy knows" things. I knew I would get a call within an hour to pick her up. So instead, we brought gan to our house. We baked cookies, watched Lion King 1-1/2, read books, took a nap, did an art project, made dinner. She wasn't pathetic, thank G-d. In fact, I actually had fun.

I love to watch her. She is (pu-pu-pu) so yummy! She's got a great smile and great facial expressions. She is starting to ask a lot of questions.

Like this one:
Ari and I are sitting at the dinner table with Ely talking about her not being the baby anymore (I talk about it a lot. It's reality orientation for me!) Ari asks her if she wants to have another baby.
"Yes," she answers.
"You want a boy or girl baby?" Ari keeps going.
"I want a baby."
"How are you going to get a baby?" Ari KEEPS going!
"From Mommy's tummy," Ely looks at me.
"Does Mommy have a baby in her tummy now?" Why is he doing this?!
"No," and turning again towards me she asks, "How do you get a baby in your tummy?"
I sigh. "Hashem puts it there."
"How do you get Hashem to put it there?"
"You have to daaven (pray) to Hashem and ask him, and if he wants to, he will."
She turns away from me; I can tell she is thinking. “OK. I will,” she answers and the conversation is over.
I look at Ari and say, “You are such a trouble maker!”
He smiles and I smile back.

I digress.

I was inside all day. Raining and pouring outside. Puddling in our basement. It’s not worth telling the landlord. He won’t do anything about it. I just keep laying down towels and mopping it up!

Ari and I met with the Rosh Hayeshiva of DB’s school tonight. They are concerned he doesn’t want to be there. He’s hanging with the wrong kids – he’s always done that. Why do kids do that? How do you get them to stop?!

I’m rambling.

Good night. Happy Birthday to me!

4 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Abacaxi Mamao said...

Do your kids not know the truth about how babies are created? Or do frum people not read those "When a Mommy and Daddy love each other very much" books?

I hope my question isn't offensive, I was just surprised.

 
At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy half birthday SB!
And to "Babe" - there is a time and a place for everything!
BB

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Hap lf Birth !

First, as a belated response to your inquiry as to blog or not to blog, I find your blogs very helpful in our consideration when and which area of Israel to make Aliyah and the issues to expect. Thank God we have five children ranging in ages from 3 to 13 and the impact of the timing of Aliyah on our children is of great concern. Also, our son (13) is now getting ready to chose a high school/yeshiva.

I would like to comment on your DB related postings. I apologize, but to oversimplify, we have shifted from a more "Yeshivish school system" to a more Torah U'Mada/Mizrachi system. As significant as those distinctions are in the states (Baltimore) in Israel they appear even more dramatic. If you look over your postings and website, DB seems like a great (sensitive) kid who is being impacted by the dilemma of there not being a middle of the road option that would make everyone happy. It is hard to think how a teenager (or anyone) can successfully thrive in a place where he is informed that his family and all internet users will be going to hell and there is disdain because he talks to girls (not even going to try to discuss that one now). He is almost being put in the position of changing who he is or being looked down upon. In that case, who else is he going to hang out with? As you know I really don't know the facts involved or DB's friend and do not mean to be presumptuous or offensive. I am very interested in hearing/reading how you and Ari are going to deal with these issues which appear to be particularly relevant to families that do not fit perfectly in any particular group/ideology educational system.

Please note that I am posting anonymously because I am not a registered blogger. However, our e-mail address is familybarr@yahoo.com.

All the best and may Hashem grant us all the wisdom and ability to do the best for those we love.
Louis

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

If the "wrong group of kids" is in the same school as DB, then it's not just a question of DB-- it means that the school has admitted a whole group of kids that for one reason or another they think of as "the wrong kids." What are the others doing there? What makes THEM 'wrong'? Do you agree with the school's assessment about DB's new friends?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home