Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Our first date: February 15, 1988

I knew it would be our first date, but I didn’t know it would lead to a wedding.

The night before, I was out dancing at the Palladium dance club in Manhattan with a different guy I thought I would marry eventually, someday, when I could convince him we really were good together. That night at the club, we were just dancing. Not thinking about marrying.

The next day I played football in Central Park with another guy friend. Just a friend.

I knew I would be going out with Ari. But I never thought that I would be wearing a white dress and walking down the aisle 6 months later! Not after that first date.

Our dates really consisted of two friends just getting to know each other better. We knew we were really good at being friends. I guess we just wanted to know if we could be more.

17 years later, I guess we could be more.

Gosh, when I think what we have done, accomplished in 17 years together.

What an amazing thing. 17 years with the same guy.

The same guy who has stuck by me through thick and thin (the thin didn’t last very long – I haven’t been thin in years!!) And the thick, at times, has been really thick!

They say love deepens with time.

Do I dream about the infatuation feeling, the crush, the tease, and the flirtatiousness? Sure.

But the feeling of deepened love – there are no real words. It just is. Deep.

17 years.

This is our 7th residence in 17 years. We lived with my in-laws for a short time, then a two-bedroom apartment. Then we came to Israel for 10 months, then back to Lowell, MA into a 2nd floor apartment. Then into our first house. Then to Boston. Then here, to Israel.

I think this is our 6th vehicle in 17 years (including the green machine which was stolen while living in New York.) A Volvo station wagon, 2 minivans, a Ford Explorer, and now a Honda Stream.

This is our 4th computer in 17 years, including Ari’s laptop. I have no idea what we started with but now we only do Macs.

17 years. 4 children. 3 of them born within 4 years and then a 7-year break for the last.

2 Bachelors degrees. 1 Masters.

A couple job changes. Nursing Home administration. A successful career in Jewish outreach. A try at private practice.

17 years, and we are living in Israel!

Truly a miraculous thing!

What a ride it’s been!

I look forward to the thrill of the future with the only guy who has ever been sensitive to my sensitivities!

I love you, Ari! Thank you…

3 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute to a beautiful relationship! Happy Anniversary of your first date, my dear, dear friends! Looking forward to sharing, IYH, many, many smachot together for the next chapters! =:->

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Karban Nesanel said...

yes, Sarah B, mamash beautiful. happy anniversary. when i look back at things like this (well, not xactly like this...you know what i mean!!), it always amazes me at what we were thinking, and how thigns happened MUCH MUCH different than what we were thinking. you know?
iyH, me too, will be able to share many smacho(s/t) together (especially next year!!)

Tonny

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

Score!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home