Friday, April 08, 2005

The Beauty of Gush Katif

Yesterday my girls and I participated in a part of history - instead of watching it on TV!

There was a “Happening” for and with the women of Gush Katif. It was a day of dancing, singing, music, art, crafts and the selling of wares by residents of the area.

After we were picked up on our yishuv by a bullet-proof bus that was already half full of women from the Jerusalem area, we traveled the 2 and a half hour ride to Neve Dekalim, a thriving yishuv in Gush Katif.

I admit, it could have been a more uplifting day. I would have planned it a little differently – more unity and women bonding kind of stuff, but it was still great to be there.

Neve Dekalim is an absolutely stunning yishuv. There is a security entrance gate with a beautifully designed welcome sign. You can reach out and touch the Mediterranean Sea. Where there is no sand, there are trees and grass and exquisite flowers. The homes are orange stucco, modest and lived-in. The sunset was a gift to me from G-d - A huge orange ball melting into the sea, connecting me to the land.

What struck me more than anything were the children playing in their yards like any other place; mothers with babies in their carriages; families at the supermarket; teenagers hanging out in the street. People living there. This is their home.

How can it be taken away from them? Taken away from us?

I am not a political person, and don’t really know enough to stand up and have an argument with anyone, but if YOU think giving Gaza to the Palestinians is the answer for peace, then you haven’t been there to see for yourself what we will be giving away. It just doesn’t make sense to me. One action does not equal the other. There are synagogues and shopping centers, homes and basketball courts. Real life! Real Jewish life.

And the Arabs will no-doubt desecrate it all.

I received a newsflash on my cell phone today saying that Mofaz thinks we should leave the homes in place for the Arabs to move into, instead of demolishing them. It just makes me sick!

I will say again, I am not a political person and certainly not an activist. But for the first time I felt like I wanted to plant myself on the road and not move! Making them have to carry me away!

Trust me when I say you have to really see it to appreciate it!

In the end, I’m glad I went and took my girls out of school to go with me. Ely was super. Sometimes I think she doesn't realize she is only 5. MB felt the same way as I, as she planted herself on the grass and didn't want to get back on the bus. And NED? Well, she just wanted something to eat, because she was hungry! I hope someday she will appreciate the opportunity she was given to be there.

As we drove through the darkness, away from Neve Dekalim, I was left with a deep feeling of helplessness and pure sadness.

And the wish that there was more I could do...

2 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Chai18 said...

i cant understand why anyone would en dream of giving away our land, Gush Katif is ours, it is part of our homeland, How do people think that it is something to be given away? i just don't understand it!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger sofia said...

You're tearing my heart with sadness...

I've never been to your place or to any country outside Philippines where I live, but I always hear news about what's happening in there. With all the justifications of both party - Israelis vs. Palestinians, I still really don't understand...

*sigh*
but well yes, it is really disheartening when someone's just trying to take away from you you're "home" - the very place where people find their sense of meaning, belongingness, life...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home