Wednesday, November 02, 2005

What should I do?

I have a dilemma.

It’s not a parenting or relationship dilemma – FINALLY!

It’s a Professional dilemma.

I should actually enjoy being in this dilemma for a little while longer, it feels so different.

I have so many opportunities ahead of me.

I have been offered many possibilities, some have panned out, some I am still waiting for and some have disappeared. Nonetheless, I am meeting other professionals, and they are offering me opportunities.


So here it is:

I have been offered an opportunity to join 5 or 6 other mental health professionals in opening a new holistic healing clinic in Modiin. I have had a dream of opening an expressive arts center since I started grad school. And now another art therapist is giving me the opportunity without me having to do most of the business work.

Modiin is growing. It is a city that the future of Israel calls to be one of the 5 largest cities in Israel when it is finished. Many new Olim/ Anglos/ English speakers are moving here. It is only a 7-minute drive from my house. It is an opportunity.

By this time next year, G-d willing, I will have a studio/ office of my own in the basement of our new home. Complete with separate entrance, toilet and paintbrush washing sink, it will allow me a smaller peice of my dream “Expressive Arts Center.”

Right now I have one private client, which I see in Jerusalem. I am renting space there (for a not-so-cheap price) and I would like to build my private practice more, although the shlep into Jerusalem is costly and tiring.

The downside of “buying into” the clinic here in Modiin is two fold. One, I have no clients here and would have to build a clientele. As a team of therapists we are doing the advertising of the clinic. I would have to build a practice from scratch. Two, I have to commit to renting space even if I don’t have clients. That takes money. Everyone says that you have to rent space first to push yourself to build the clientele. But it’s money.

And is it worth it?

The therapist putting this together wants to put my name on the brochure. She wants to give me (I will have to pay for) business cards with the logo of the clinic on it. She is inviting ME to be on a team of other creative arts therapists.

It’s an opportunity, but I’m not sure if I’m ready for it.

I know I should expand to Modiin even though next year I will have some clientele out of my home, but…

I don’t know if I’m ready. Or if I should do it.

Hear my dilemma?

Make any sense?

What should I do? I am not a businessperson. I have no business sense.

I have already committed myself to the clinic at Neve in order to build my skills and reputation there.

Will this be overkill?

Any questions?

Answers?

I have a dilemma.

7 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my first instinct would be to deal with the shlep to jerusalem till next year. then, have your own studio at home and build a clientelle in the area. and then once you have people to see, join the practice. if you are still interested in 2 years then it is a lot less of a risk. i am super conservative though. then again...
if you have the rescources and the guts, then go for it!

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gut instinct is to tell you to go for it in Modiin.

Your home studio will still be there for you in 2, 5, or 10 years. But this opportunity will pass.

Plus, it is a way to build a reputation for yourself in Modiin- which is more likely to bring you private clients than Jerusalem! It's more important that people in Modiin know who you are, since they live so close by.

And don't listen to the voice that says you are not ready! You are more than ready for anything! Stop procrastinating!

My 10 agurot.

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me, Chayyei Sarah

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sares
You're ready...Go for it!
It's a great oppurtunity and you will be successful at it.
Anyway, Ely will be in first grade next year, more independent, everyone else will be into their "thing"...do it for yourself. You will be GREAT!
You know P.R., you were a Regional Prez., schmooz w/people, share your future plans and get the word out, you will be close to home....EVERYTHING about this sounds too good to let go (except the $ part) but it's an INVESTMENT in your future.
Anyway, what does MOM say?
Spaz

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger brainhell said...

If you think you're not ready, that's the sign that you're ready. Go for it.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop obsessing already. You are so fortunate to have the fastest growing city in Israel at your doorstep - take advantage of it! They probably don't even have an expressive arts therapy center, much less one that includes an American expert, which you know they will adore and flock to with the right PR. Just do it - 7 minutes to Modiin is a dream - consider yourself darn lucky, decide to give it your absolute best, and then put in all the effort you can muster. All start-ups are difficult, maybe very difficult, but if the team is talented it will pay off later, both financially and in a professionally rewarding way. Please be ready to make some lifestyle changes temporarily in order to accomodate what will be a rough ride for probably 12 - 18 months. Maybe you don't have so many guests every holiday and most weekends around this coming year - give your mind and body a chance to rest and limit the quantities - instead of 6 seminary girls check yourself and have 2. you may think the short-term mitzvah is bigger with more guests, but the added stress probably affects many other things, and with all this new work stuff even more so - be smart and avoid the hassles, just for a short while until the routine is clear and the work is running smoothly. If you only live for everyone else you can be depressed and regretful - "im ayn ani li, mi li" - do this for Sarah who has been handed a gift of an opportunity and, though nervous, is ready to sieze and run with it. YOU CAN DO THIS - SO DO IT!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Karban Nesanel said...

"well folks, it's a landslide! modiin 5, yerushalayim 0. join us here next time for our next installment of What Should I Do, where Sarah B wants to know whether she should get a new car, or a new car!"

i think you know what you gotta do now Sarah B...

"just do it"

-nike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home