Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy Change of the Calendar Date!

That's about all it is here in Israel - the turn of the calendar and the ability to remember to write "2006" on your checks!

My New Year's Eve was spent very differently than it was, oh, about 18 years ago when I passed out on my friend's bed even before the Times Square ball even fell.

This year I went to the Old City of Jerusalem with my husband and 3 kids (MB was at a Bnei Akiva thing) and then down to the Kotel (Western Wall). The Old City is so beautiful on Chanukah - we try to go every year when the menorahs are lit and the city sparkles. It was a sight to see all different kinds of Jews gathered together on the Festival of Lights at one of the holiest places on this earth.

It was the 7th night of Chanukah, not New Year's Eve!

We dropped DB off in the center of the city. (OK- that was a little nuts! Leaving my 16 year old in the middle of Jerusalem to meet friends on New Year's Eve!) The difference between the city center and the Old city was like night and day. There were people out partying!

We drove to Neve Yaakov, a suburb of Jerualem where brother Matthew lives, to drop off Ely so she could sleep over at her cousin's house, and pick up my Mom.

Back at the Yishuv, it was about 11:00 PM, we walked up to our neighbors who was having their annual Chanukah party. Not very many people were left. Which was good - I hate crowds! There was a circle of singers and guitar players and a side group of talkers. I sat myself down with the singers, I brought in the new year singing holy Jewish/hebrew songs. No one even acknowledged the turn of 12:00. It was like any other night...

I spent New Year's day shopping with my Mom for tiles for the new house. It wasn't as painful with my Mom around. She loves doing this stuff, so she made it more fun. I am still in a very resistant place, even as the house REALLY starts looking like a house!

So back to school and work we go tomorrow. Today is catch up with luandry and phone calls day!

Happy whatever it is for you!

2 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger Dani B. said...

Don't they say sylvester sameach in israel? (at least amongst the chilonim)

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was there too! And thanks so much for taking me, it was beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home