Monday, December 26, 2005

Still trying to fix the problem

Blogger can't seem to understand what I'm looking to fix. In the meantime, I'll just write the correct date and time in manually.

Monday, December 26, 2005 ~ 7:41 am

Although it was cold and rainy yesterday, the Xmas feeling was only felt when I logged onto cnn.com. It's such a strange experience to have grown up for 37 years of my life in a culture that went bonkers over a holiday season and then be completely void of the feeling just by moving to another country (I guess that fact that it is a Jewish country helps!)

The only person I know who celebrates Xmas here is my African cleaning man. I didn't even know he celebrated Xmas until I called him yesterday fuming, wondering why he hadn't come to clean and why he didn't call. "It's Xmas, Sarah", he said. "Oh"

So although part of me misses the Xmas carols, the cheery disposition of everyone in the stores, the happy lights on a dreary dark winter night, and the memories of presents on Xmas morning, I am still content to be living in my Jewish country, celebrating Chanukah.

Last night as I went out to throw my garbage in the bin, I could hear my neighbors singing and watch them light their candles by their windows.

A Great Miracle Happened Here.

And I am thankful.

Chanukah Sameach and Happy Holidays to all!

1 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i'm not sure if you remember me - if not, then you must think i'm just a weirdo reading a random blog
i wish i were away from xmas. i hate the carrols, the trees, the lights, and i don't understand the day off from work. ugh. i miss israel.
hope all is going well

Marc Lerman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home