Thursday, July 20, 2006

TJ Class of '84

Everyday I drive into this yishuv where I live in Israel, and I think, "I'm just a little public school girl from Frederick, MD. How'd I get here?"

It's all a miracle really, but that's for another time.

This past week I received an email from an old high school acquaintance checking to see how we are doing over here. There seems to be a web list or something where my high school class can stay in touch with each other. I haven't had the time to figure out what it is yet, but there seems to be some discussion about me and my well-being on the list.

I subsequently received emails from friends (some I remember and others only vaguely) letting me know I am in their thoughts and prayers.

I am so touched!

I have always carried a special place in my heart and thoughts for my public school friends. It was a confusing time in my life - high school. But I had the most supportive group of friends any Jewish girl could want. They had no idea what I was doing religiously, but accepted me with my Sabbath observance and kosher home. They never made fun of me, nor taunted me to do anything different. Instead, they supported me when we had to change the date for our high school graduation because it was planned for a holiday (shavuot) and didn't blink when prom was changed from a Friday to Saturday night so I could shake my grove thang with Matt Pedersen! What a night that was!

So to all my friends from Governor Thomas Johnson High School class of 1984, thanks for the emails (keep them coming!) and most especially thank you for your love and concern and prayers!

It's another smoggy hot day here in Israel.

The arab workers are already here to continue building our neighbors' homes. I can see Tel Aviv off in the distance, and I go to work in Jerusalem today.

Life goes on...

1 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am offended how your refer to your workers as "Arabs." It seems racist. Call them workers, but my calling them Arabs (even if they are) is equating their ethnicity with their work. Not all workers in Israel are Arab. And plenty of Arabs do other things than build houses. Imagine if in America, I said "The Blacks came to clean my house today." It sounds appalling as do your statements.

Also, if you must refer to them as Arabs, you should capitalize the word. It is only proper.

How are we every to achieve peace in Israel with this kind of an attitude?

You seem to have a good heart and care so much about Israel (as do we all!). So I don't mean to lecture, but just to remind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home