Thursday, October 19, 2006

Workmen praying in my bedroom

I had workers in the house today.

Fixing tiles, replacing tiles.

Making a mess.

I kept watch. Didn't want my things stolen again.

One of the workers was in my bathroom, putting tile on the window sill. I walked back and forth between Ari's office and my bedroom to make sure he was still where he was supposed to be. (And basically got nothing done all day!)

Right before the workers were supposed to finish their work and leave - all Arab workers must be off the Yishuv by 3 PM. Don't know why, it's the rule on the yishuv -
I walked into my bedroom to find the worker on his knees on the floor of my bedroom, PRAYING TO ALLAH!!!

I was very disturbed by this! And although I was respectful enough not to tell him to stop right then, I said outloud in English, not to his face, but outloud as I paced the hall (which he, of course, could not understand), "Why are you praying in my bedroom? This is not okay with me. Please stop praying in my bedroom! This is bothering me!"

I can't get the image of this guy bowing up and down on my bedroom floor out of my mind.

I asked DB to pray the evening prayer in my room tonight.

I need different energy in there. I need incense. I need something.


Tomorrow I tell the head guy - NO PRAYING IN MY HOUSE BY WORKMEN!

1 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, You are 100% correct to feel upset about a workmen praying in your bedroom. With the tension between Jews and Muslims, I believe we (as Jews) need to help show them that we are compassionate to everyones needs for prayer. This might help in some small way their feelings for us. Maybe, try asking the workers to inplace of praying in your bedroom, that there maybe a some other area in your home that they can pray that won't offend you. This will cause good feeling between everyone involved. i say this, because we all (human's) need to get along, with this we have chaos. There is a biblical reading in genisus about this I believe. Anyway, that is just one man's opinion. On another note, I saw mr. Radbill in synagogue this weekend for his brothers Bar-Mitzva, he told me how he spend Shabbos with you a few weeks ago, I told him to tell you hi. WOW your dad's 70, and mine is very close behind. I hope everyone is doing great.

Your friend,
michael Blum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home