Friday, July 10, 2009

What it takes to feed an army

DB called me today (which always scares me when I get a call from him in the middle of the day/middle of the week!)

He informed me that his commander told him and another religious boy in his unit, whose family lives nearby, that they could organize a break-fast for after the fast today.

Which translated means: Imma, would you please bring food for my unit for after the fast.

How could I say no? As I have said before, there is not much more I can do for my son these days, so cooking and preparing food for a break-fast, it is.

Wanna know what it took to feed these approxiamately 22 boys?

1. 48 scrambled eggs
2. A whole bag of potatoes, cut into chunks (thanks to Adina B!!), spiced and browned under the broiler
3. A stir-fry of red pepper, onions and mushrooms
4. A 10 kilo watermelon, cut into chunks
5. 2 containers of g'vina levana (Israeli version of sour cream or very soft cream cheese
6. 4 bottles of juice

I grabbed my box of cheap paper goods (which really didn't matter as the boys were drinking straight from the bottles - although, I did get them to use plates and forks!)

Ari and I drove to the base - which for the next two weeks is only 7 minutes from our home.

We sat in the dark as the boys ate.
They were very courteous and appreciative, and tried to make conversation, although i was limited with the hebrew - very frustrating!

Another Israel experience - and I can now literally say, "I REALLY made enough for a small army!!

1 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post little sister!
Love
BB#1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home