Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Chanukah Sameach - NOT a Chag

I had two awesome Israeli moments today. Both were lessons taught to me by Israeli men, one wearing a kippah, the other not.

The first was given to me by the non-kippah wearing money changer behind the glass window in Modiin. I came to him with the $40 my good brother left us in the glove compartment (a take-yourselves-out-to-dinner present).
This handsome, seemingly secular Israeli took the money and said, "This is all? 40 dollars?"
In hebrew, I responded, "That's all I have."
"Do you have children?" he asked.
"Yes, I do." I wondered where he was going...
"Then what else do you need? This here," he lifted up the dollar bills, "is only paper. You have children. That is your treasure."
"You are right," I was humbled.
"People put too much emphasis on this paper. They forget what is important."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This guy was reminding me of what is important. Amazing lessons. And all in hebrew!

The second lesson was given to me by the guy at Marzipan, the yummiest kosher bakery in Jerusalem! Located near Machene Yehuda (the outdoor market), MB and I always stop there after her physical therapy appointments which are right next door...We got our gooey cinnamon rugelach and wished the guy a Chag Sameach. Very quickly he corrected us. He told us that in Israel we say, "Chanukah Sameach" (Sameach means HAPPY), because Chanukah is not a Chag. In Israel, a Chag is a Yom Yov like Sukkot or Pesach. So we just say Chanukah Sameach. With a humble smile, we wished him a Chanukah Sameach and understood the correction.

You never know who will teach you what in this country...

Chanukah Sameach

6 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SB, I love those vingettes. Hashem has his messengers.
Chanuka Samayach!
Love
BB

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Avi said...

Yup, a chag is like a hajj in Arabic (the Moslem pilgrimage to Mecca). A chag only refers to the shlosh regalim - the three pilgrimidge festivals to Jerusalem.

So Channukah Sameach

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Chanukah Sameach

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Restriction of the term 'Chag' to the major Jewish holidays (Shloshah Regolim), rather than to Chanukah and Purim, might be appealing,
but the rule apparently does not apply to widely popular children's songs: 'Chanukah, Chanukah, Chag yafeh kol kach, Ohr chaviv,
mi-saviv...' ; or: 'Chag Purim, Chag Purim, Chag gadol hu la-Yehudim, Masechot....'

Aryeh in Miami

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Restriction of the term 'Chag' to the major Jewish holidays (Shloshah Regalim) may be appropriate, but the rule clearly does not apply
to widely popular children's songs: 'Chanukah, Chanukah, Chag yafeh kol kach, Ohr chaviv, mi-saviv,...' ; or: 'Chag Purim, Chag Purim,
Chag gadol hu la'Yehudim, Masechot...'

Aryeh in Miami

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chanukah Sameach from Haifa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home