Sunday, January 09, 2005

Quick Motzei Shabbat check-in and Ely diddy

Shabbat was very nice (that's a 4th grade adjective, isn't it?). I was done my cooking and cleaning-up an hour before candle lighting - amazing!

Quiet Shabbat - only two girls. Lisa from MIT, here on a pilot trip for her upcoming aliyah (ah, to be idealistic and young). And Sarah from Connecticut.

My kids love having guests who will read and play with them.
My cooking was OK, I've done better. My challahs turned out great. They were HUGE and really yummy. I'm starting to get the hang of baking challah again.

Fell asleep on the couch Friday night, waiting for the big kids to come home - Ely fell asleep on my lap first. I love that! I awoke and DB was asleep on the other couch, fully clothed. The girls were already asleep in bed. I didn't hear anyone come in. Why do I wait up for them again?!

There was a brit milah (circumcision) in shul this morning. Ely came in to me just as they brought in the baby. I picked her up and we were able to see over the separator what was happening.
"What are they going to do to the him?" Ely asked the question.
"The mohel, he's a special brit doctor, he's going to cut off a tiny piece of the baby's p****." (I can say the word to my 5 year old, but can't write it here!)
"Ewww," she said, with a great facial expression.
"Hashem put the extra skin there so it won't hurt the baby when the mohel cuts it off. All Jewish boys have a brit."
She wanted to stay and watch the whole thing. She was even the first one to hear the baby's name after they named him.
I cried. I always do at these things. Another addition to the Jewish people.

Sat outside in the sun and read after lunch. Parenting stuff. Sun was warm. Air was cold. Used a blanket.

DB and I argued again about whether he can wear a sweater on Shabbat without a shirt underneath. (Trivial, I know. But once I start bending, I lose all my parental influence.) I think it looks sloppy and "unShabbasdik". He says he's uncomfortable and it doesn't matter. He listened to me, albeit reluctantly. Growing up...and out.

I can't deal with this! We're struggling, but still loving.

Caught up with Lisa and Sarah and their lives... and Shabbat was over.

The kids pitched in for clean-up and we were done in less than 2 hours. Thanks guys!!

Now, all four kids are piled on the couch with Ari watching Harry Potter 3 on the laptop. I have no desire to watch. Not my kind of movie. Ari's mad that I'm not watching with them. "I watch movies with you that I don't like." He's right. But, he'll get over it.
I made pizza for them. That makes it better.

So much for a quick check-in.

I have to share another Ely diddy, though.

Once we decided that we were going to watch the movie, we had to get it from our friend's up the street. The Lloyds have a son who is Ely's best buddy. She walks to his house by herself on Shabbat all the time. During the week, I walk her up the hill and walk her across the street before she walks the rest of the way by herself.
Tonight after we called the Lloyds to borrow the video, Ely announced she was going to get it. I told her she needed to wait for someone to walk her.

Our guest, Lisa, said she would go with her, but when we called for Ely to get ready, she was no where to be found. She has been in the habit of hiding from us when we call her these days, but we couldn't find her anywhere in the house.

Her coat and shoes were still here, so I "knew" she couldn't have walked by herself.

I was so wrong!

I called the Lloyds. She wasn't there - yet. Two minutes later the Lloyds called and told me that she was there, with no coat on and sandals (it's cold outside!) I could only laugh!

I sent DB up to get her with a coat and instructions to give her a big brother talking to!

Should we punish her? I'd only start laughing. Should there be a consequence?
She feels so safe and independent here!

She walked back in the door and said, "I'm sorry Imma."

I gave her the lecture about not doing that again and all was good.

It was funny and thank G-d she was okay!

Off to a decent night's sleep - I hope.

Shavuah tov.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home