Saturday, March 12, 2005

Shabbat in review

I was not in the mood this week. I did not want to cook and I did not want company.

I did both!

Seven seminary girls plus one of MB’s friends from school.

I made them all eat elsewhere Friday night as we were invited out for the meal.

Shabbat allows us to visit with friends and people we would otherwise not make the time to see. We share a meal or two with them and talk about our lives and commonalities.

Friday night we ate by a family who made aliyah 6 months after us – in the middle of the school year. They brought their son, an instant friend for DB. For that we are very thankful!

I found myself full of envy, though. This family came after us, and not only is the wife already working, but they bought, built and have moved into a beautiful new home on the yishuv. How come some people can figure out what they want, make the decision and just do it? And others of us are still stuck not knowing? It left me feeling very frustrated. Her kitchen was spacious and gorgeous! They are settled and comfortable.

What’s wrong with us?

I digress…

On the walk back home after dinner, Ari stopped at a Shalom Zochar (A Friday night celebration when a new baby boy is born.) I was too tired, and just wanted to be home in my cluttered, disorganized, tiny kitchened house---to pout. So I pulled my anti-social self and brought ELY home. And for the first time I fell asleep on a Friday night before my kids came home.
I awoke Saturday morning with a headache that did not leave me all day. Even my kids were telling me to smile. I just wanted to be in bed – NOT playing hostess. But play hostess I did.

MB took ELY to a friend’s house after lunch and I slept for two hours. I did not want to get up, but dragged myself out of bed and once again served the third Shabbat meal. More food and more hostessing…

For the first time in a long time I was relieved for Shabbat to be over.

Next week will be more girls. I hope I am more in the mood and headache free. What are these headaches about? I wonder…

Back to life this week. Gosh, I hope we can make a decision we are happy with. I am so afraid of upsetting my kids if we have to move. They are happy here, but we just can’t afford to stay. And if there is a better school for DB in another area, then we need to move. Ugh!

Shavuah Tov. I hope YOUR week is happy!

4 Comments:

At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SB, one word, "Sarno".
Love
BB

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Special Ed said...

Next time have ely "get sick" then leave em fending for themselves :)

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger houseofjoy said...

Everyone has the neighbor who has the perfect house and the perfect life. The ones who have everything flowing right. The thing is that it isn't really true. That neighbor has her own stuff and is probably sitting around envying someone elses creativity or the fact that they read a book or keep a blog or have a career or something.
Oh, and there is a viral headache going around that makes you want to hide in a dark room forever.
A beautiful six bedroom house just opened up on my yishuv if you want to come be our neighbors.
Beth

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spaz
You are loved. You will make a good choice in time. Smile!
Hugs Always
SPAZ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home