Wednesday, March 02, 2005

My frustrating day

Ready for this?

10:00 am – Met with MB’s principal to discuss MB and changes we would like to see in the school. For the most part we a very happy with her education there. We would like to see a little bit more “torani” (religious) flavor added to the curriculum. The principal is very professional and was totally open to hearing my ideas. The best part is that she spoke English!!

10:45 am – I was supposed to be meeting a friend at a coffee shop in Bet Shemesh, but realize I forgot my cell phone at home. I race home, pick up the cell phone, which I left on my bed, and raced back to Bet Shemesh (50 minutes roundtrip). AGGRAVATING!

11:35 am – I meet with my new friend whom I met through NEFESH. She wants to pick my brain about stuff going on in her personal life. Why me? I think she was an angel sent from G-d. It was like speaking to a mirror. I've struggled through some – but not all – of what she is going through. My experience can help her, but not fix it. She thanks me and we part ways.

12:45 pm – I call my friend in Ramat Bet Shemesh, she’s about to do carpool. So I can’t go hang out with her. I call my other friend in Bet Shemesh. She’s home. I pop over for a hug and a quick catch-up on our lives.

1:30 pm - I drive into Jerusalem. My meeting doesn’t start until 5 pm. What am I going to do until then? I could go to the kotel, which is probably what I should have done! Instead, I park in my favorite parking garage near Machene Yehuda (they raised their price to 6 NIS/hour from 5 NIS/hour!). I climb the steps out of the parking garage and start to walk towards King George Street. Where am I going? Not meeting anyone. Nothing really to do. Maybe I need a new brown hat? Maybe I need a new purse? Maybe I need a new skirt? I walk into one store and then another. I find nothing. And I begin to get depressed over having to walk around alone. With nothing to do. I mosey down to my favorite restaurant in Jerusalem – Village Green - and spend way too much money on a late lunch/early dinner for myself. YUM! I wish I could eat that healthy all the time! I wish someone would cook healthy for me all the time. I wouldn’t need chocolate if I had healthy food like that around me all the time. I think about getting a job cooking there. It was just a thought. As I am sitting outside the restaurant all alone – purposely facing away from the foot traffic on the street – Ari calls me from snowy/blizzarding Upstate New York. He keeps me company as I eat, and I feel better.

Two things happened while in the city that really bothered me. First as I was trying to make a u-turn to pull in to the parking lot, the guy behind me got so impatient he pulled out in front of me and cut me off. I honked. I honked more. I was so upset by his impatience and total chutzpah! I wanted to say so many things to him and if I would’ve had the language, I would have stopped my car, gotten out and said them! I don’t get the mentality that everyone else has somewhere to be before me?! FRUSTRATED!

The second thing that happened was a beggar looking for money stopped me on the street when I was on the phone with MB giving her directions of what to make for dinner. He stood there waiting for me to finish and when I gave him one of the dollars someone gave me in the states to give to charity, he asked for more. I hate when they do that!

As I walked to my car, a woman walking towards me stopped at a newly blooming tree and smelled the blossoms. For some reason, that made me smile.

5:15 pm – I am late for my meeting, but they are late in getting started. The meeting was called for local rabbis, educators, and mental health providers to begin a taskforce addressing the unfortunate situation of “in-risk” (they are no loner at-risk, they are IN it!) teens. Because I am on the NEFESH planning committee here, I was invited to attend. I knew there would be a lot of Hebrew, but I was told to come anyhow, someone would translate.

HELPLESS AND STUPID AND EMBARRASSED is how I would describe the experience! I sat in that conference room with very experienced and professional people. Not only could I not follow the conversation, but I could not even add what I know would have been worthwhile comments and ideas. I know kids! I know what’s in their guts. I could really be helpful, but I can’t speak or understand the damn language! When I finally decided to add something, the woman sitting next to me said, “Yeah, that’s what the Rabbi said before.” Uugghhh!

In the middle of the meeting an irate woman came into the conference room asking whose car was blocking her car in the parking lot. When I said it was mine, she began screaming at me, and I couldn’t even defend myself. I couldn’t get the words out. HUMILIATED in front of all those “big people”.

Needless to say, I am feeling pretty yucky tonight. The good news is that there was a message on my voice mail that my fabulous ulpan teacher from ulpan aleph is starting an ulpan bet class next week. The hours stink (5 – 8 pm) but it’s only two nights a week. I guess it is a sign! I have to learn Hebrew!

I stayed up late tonight because I was supposed to get a call from an old NCSYer who is finally getting married and asked me to learn the laws of family purity with her over the phone. She was supposed to call an hour and a half ago. I don’t have her number. I had a feeling she wouldn’t call.

It just wasn’t my favorite day.

Thankfully, I came home to my girls’ hugs and snuggles. I miss not having male energy in the house! It really is something missing. As woman, though, we are a strong group!

Here I am – venting, big time!

I have eaten my ice cream – time for sleep.

P.S. Happy Birthday to my Mommy (yesterday)! I appreciate you!

P.P.S. Thank you for the help with learning how to get emails from my comment box. Totally cool!

P.P.P.S. Anonymous, I am not offended by your comments. I appreciate your candidness and honesty about the whole topic. Don’t sweat it!

3 Comments:

At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such a yucky day. Hope tomorrow is better! Thanks for your advice. My husband will be commuting too so I will have fairly easy access to the things I decide I can't live without (hopefully the list won't be too long).
By the way, I was thinking - there are a few things that I can't get where I live and I often ask my sister to bring from NY. Also, there are certain items that my kids look forward to getting from Israel. And they've never said "Life must be better in NY... or Israel". Like you said, as long as they're happy. And hopefully they will be.
*** einsof *** <--- trouble logging in again

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Special Ed said...

Hey there- your day sounds grumpy like mine. We had a delay today so I wake up to go to skewl at 10. I only have one class and I'm going to be out at 12 but my teacher enver teaches cause hes a loser so I wandered the hall for 2 hrs what a waste of time. Oh ya check my altest post I'm not sure what Ari called me.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger brainhell said...

Wow, what a picture of life! Just be glad you don't live in NYC!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home