Thursday, June 23, 2005

I get so frustrated

Ely needs to have the tubes in her ears removed. It’s been over two years since she had them put in and they haven’t fallen out yet by themselves.

In the states, we used the same ENT (Ear-Nose-and-Throat) doctor for all of our kids. They all 3 had tubes put in and one or two of them had to have them removed. Same doctor. For years.

Now I live in Israel. Health care is different here. I am still learning how to work around the system. Who to talk to, who to get the referrals for, and which doctors you know you can trust.

Should we do this privately and pay 10 times as much for a simple procedure?

Ari has a family history of malignant hyperthermia. It is some kind of genetic allergic reaction to anesthesia. Because of that and the possibility that one of our kids is a carrier, they all have to be carefully watched during anesthesia.

So the big question arises: Do we need to be more concerned about the ENT we use or the anesthesiologist? And which hospital should we use? And do we need to go private or public?

I have been dealing with this all in Hebrew, so when the hospital called today to confirm my appointment for next week, I was a little upset when they said the appointment was at 2:40 PM and NOT 9:40 AM. The middle of the day is the worst – we will be waiting forever to see the doctor! When I can’t argue or ask questions in Hebrew, the receptionists lose patience and hang up.

Hence my frustration!

I used to be able to communicate with doctors and secretaries on the other end of the phone line. I used to be able to speak intelligently about what I wanted to ask or say.

It’s embarrassing and almost humiliating when you can’t get across what it is you want to say.

Frustrating…

On the other hand, I am a heck of a lot better today than I was a year ago. Tonight I had a 25-minute conversation with NED’s teacher on the phone – ALL IN HEBREW. Go Me!! I amazed myself! The words just came. They were simple and I didn’t always conjugate the verbs properly, but I did an awesome job!

So slowly but surely (because I am a motivated learner) I am getting this language. The attitudes and innuendos aren’t coming as naturally – that will take years! But I find myself thinking in Hebrew sometimes, wondering how to say this phrase or that word.

I am about to embark on a daring job opportunity. I have been asked to co-lead an empowerment group for women suffering with domestic violence – all in Hebrew. My co-leader speaks both Hebrew and English, so I will have her as a buffer. But they want me to add my expertise in experiential clinical arts, so I am in and now have to pray I don’t destroy these women when I ask, “I’m sorry, what did you say? I didn’t understand you.”

Making aliyah, in case you were wondering, is a deeply humbling experience.

P.S. Happy Anniversary to my Mom and Dad! 40-something years!

2 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Karban Nesanel said...

"On the other hand, I am a heck of a lot better today than I was a year ago. Tonight I had a 25-minute conversation with NED’s teacher on the phone – ALL IN HEBREW. Go Me!! I amazed myself! The words just came. They were simple and I didn’t always conjugate the verbs properly, but I did an awesome job!"

yay!! go Sarah B!! im so proud of you!

and mazal tov to your parents!

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well hello there
I just visited your blog about awful plastic surgery celebrity and I like what I see..why not get on over to my site at http://www.medicare-cosmetic-surgery.com and take a look at what I have to say about awful plastic surgery celebrity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home