Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Popular question

It seems that my 21,000 hit childhood question was the easiest so far for you to answer. I got 13 responses so far! And they are all great!

Comment #12, from Anonymous, asked where I’ve been, so I thought I’d answer…

I’m going through what Israelis call “Lachatz.”

NOTE: I am not writing this so I’ll get a lot of calls, although I do appreciate when my friends and family call to commiserate or check-in. I really do.

Lachatz means stress or pressure.

I’m feeling stress from the pressure of everything going on in my life.

There are those close to me who would say, “How can you complain? You have a husband who loves you, great kids, a job you love, you’re building a house in Israel, basic health, loyal friends, what more do you need?”

And my answer to them right now would be, “I just need to complain right now. I don’t need perspective. I don’t need the big picture or the reality check or the long term positive. I just need to complain.
Thank you very much!”

So here’s the list (which you can just skip over if you want to):

Brother Matt just called to tell me he is moving to South Africa indefinitely, leaving me in Israel without any family. (Except my newfound cousin Diana, who I’m going to have to make more of an effort to be in touch with!) I’m very sad. I’m feeling a great loss.

The house is making me crazy! I hate making decisions – mostly alone. It’s not just my house. I can’t take the pressure. And I don’t want to care whether or not the room is too small or too big. Or whether or not I’ll be able to walk by the desk or whether there will be room for a second microwave.

Picking out granite? Forget it!

The money it is costing us – it makes me nauseous.

Starting new therapy ventures is stressful. People don’t sign up or call or express interest.

My teenagers are bickering all the time. They are rude and uncooperative. They are mean to each other and take very little initiative around the house. They think only of themselves and what they want. (I know they sound normal)

Ely is starting to say “no” more. She is spoiled and refuses to do things on her own.

Ari…

I have no time to see friends.

Shabbat has become more difficult to prepare for and have guests. I don’t go to shul anymore and I feel guilty about it – that’s stressful enough – my own guilt.

I sound petty and ungrateful.

I’m going to post this even though I know I probably shouldn’t. But please don’t call or write and tell me I shouldn’t have…


Thanks.

7 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nobody should ever make you feel that you shouldn't be complaining and that everything in the world is peachy just b/c you have all you have. it's ok to complain, even about petty little things, even if you think they are petty other people might look at it and think "hmm, i'm having some of the same issues, i wonder how sara beth is handling it" and boom, a reason to post.

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i HATE when people try to "problem solve" with me while i am trying to vent. please just listen. i just NEED to be heard right now.
i like listening to you.

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i second Marcs opinion, ppl need to be able to actually feel things. anger/sadness/frustration are ok and sometimes you just need to sit with some ben and jerrys (or whatever you like) and just feel the moment. sometimes when life is hard it makes apprecaite the good times more. can't get the ups w/out the downs. plus, in the wise words of one of my Madrichot, sometimes when it rains it pours. this too shall pass.

i'm going to try and keep in touch better, but this was a start and dont feel bad abt feeling and venting.
love and faith
amy goodman

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey - if guests on the weekend add stress and make you miss shul then why.... let's face it - there are two kinds of pressures. those you cannot control and those you can. if someone is stressed and continues to allow controllable pressures to add to their angst then they are doing themselves and those they love a disservice.

as an experiment don't have guests for a month. do you really "need" them? (and don't say they "need" you - they'll survive).

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger brainhell said...

It makes you 'nauseated/' I can atest that you are not nauseous.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[makes gesture commonly found at wedding when one doesn't want to spoil either their or their friend's makeup]

:: web hug! ::

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sarah beth,
i love you and care about you alot. you were my very first friend in Clover Hill. I can empathsize with you so much. Probably more than you know. Keep your chin up kid. I have to go to work now, in fact i'm probably already late now. remember: there are alot of people who love you, including G-d our Father in heaven. Everything's going to work out and be just fine. You'll land on your feet. Complain and get it out of your system. But just don't end up complaining for too long. I'm pretty much in the same boat myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home