Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Things I already knew and Things I learned:

I already knew that I must have ELY pack her school bag the night before.
Even still, I learned that at 8:20 am, I am not the latest parent to drop their child off at school.

I already knew that the ultrasound that the physical therapist uses can help my foot pain.
I learned that rolling my foot over a tennis ball also helps.

I already knew that sometimes it can take over an hour to get to Jerusalem in the morning.
I learned that it can also take 35 minutes, with time to spare to call a friend before I start working.

I already knew that my client is so protected she can barely speak.
I learned that she is so protected that she self-edits/criticizes even before her words leave her mouth. And I learned that I have to use art more creatively with her.

I already knew it was hard to find parking in and around the Old City on Rosh Chodesh (the new moon/month).
I learned that it is enough to drive through the Old Ctiy, see the Kotel and drive over to the Tayelet and look out over the Old City instead.

I already knew I get migraines for no apparent reason.
I learned that a bottle of coke and a falafel can make it go away.

I already knew that when I trust in the process, art therapy can be very powerful
I learned that when I trust myself, I can run a great art therapy group, help some lost girls feel a little more connected and feel really good about it.

I already knew that Ely is a good student.
I learned that I can understand her teacher when she tells me so.

I already knew (cuz I learned it over the last 6 years) that one of the things about living on a yishuv in Israel during Chodesh Irgun means I have no control over what time my teenagers come home at night.
I learned that if I let NED have my trust, she still responds to her responsibilities and makes herself very proud.

I already knew that I don’t like it when Ari travels to the States.
I learned that all I really need are little reminders from him that he is thinking about me throughout the day, and he can stay as long as he needs.

Interesting day…. Certainly learned a lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home