Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Soulja Boy

When DB calls me, my phone rings Soulja Boy Crank Dat (Google it, if you have never heard the song). It's really a very inappropriate song in it's lyrics, but it's got a great beat and the title gets me. Except every time my phone rings to that song, I panic!
Tonight DB called at about 8:30 PM.
"Guess where I am Imma?"
I hate that question!
"In the hospital?" Why shouldn't that be my first guess?
"No Imma, I'm in the Ben Shemen forest down the road. My commander said you could come visit."

Drop everything and go. That's the life of an IDF mom!

DB didn't know exactly where he was. "Somewhere in the forest. Abba for sure knows where we are. He rides his bike here all the time."

We drove around in the dark with ELy crying "I'm scared" from the back seat. He didn't know where he was and we weren't sure where to find him.

We found him, and the rest of his unit. As we drove up, there was only one bright light lit by generator and a large fire. I could only see young men, most without their shirts on, with their guns strapped around them. In the fire were four "POYKE POTS." A Poyke pot is a huge rod iron pot with a lid that is put in the fire. In the pot is carrots onions potatoes, sweet potatoes and chicken. Add water. Add chili sauce and honey. Last 20 minutes add rice. Stew. Cholent.

I brought cookies, which the boys devoured!!

There we were in the woods, boys sleeping around us on mattresses n the middle of the forest, waiting for their stew to be done. In the middle of the forest, these young men - boys - soldiers. there to learn how to live.

I couldn't follow too much of the conversations -- frustrating.

DB was happy to see us and of course so were we. He told us about his week. Lots of all night hiking/ navigation.

Tired boys.

Surreal moments.

1 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger Karban Nesanel said...

Soulja boy! Haha! That's so funny. I never woulda thought you'd even think about listening to that song. I should tell about that time i was close to home on a mission once...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home