Friday, August 21, 2009

Crazy Dream last night

I don't always write about my dreams. But this one upset me, so I need to write about it.

In a nutshell, I dreamt that an old friend, who is very bad about being in touch, got divorced from her husband, without telling me.
We were somewhere together, happy to see each other. Talking as if we had seen and spoken the day before. It took me a couple hours to realize her hair wasn't covered anymore. (Which for observant Jewish women is a sign of not being married) I made a comment to another friend, who told me she was divorced, but hadn't told anyone. And I got very upset.

So now what. It was one of those dreams that felt so real.

It could be real. This friend might be going through marriage difficulties, but I wouldn't know it. She rarely speaks to me. I call. I leave messages. She does not (or very very rarely) reciprocate. So does that still mean she's a friend?

What constitutes a friend? Do the two people have to speak to each other. Or do they only have to think about each other without knowing what is really going on in that person's life? I used to consider this friend a very good friend. But if I have no idea what is going on in her life, what kind of friend am I? And how can I be a friend when she won't allow me to be?

Maybe this dream was more about what it means to me to be a friend, and not about this friend specifically...

Just thinkin'...

Sometimes my dreams really shake me up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home