Wednesday, May 19, 2010

26 years since High School graduation

I remember it, in detail - mostly because I kept a diary, and took pictures. The details are all there - even the ones I want to forget!

I remember changing the date of graduation from the beginning. It was originally sceduled on the first night of Shavuot. A Jewish holiday. Matthew P. was the first one to see it on the school calendar, the first day of school. All the seniors sitting in the auditorium. Handed the calendars. Graduation was announced. Matthew said, "Sarah can't graduate. It's Shavuoth." I cried. Mom took me to meet with the principal. Then the superintendent of schools. We got graduation switched with Linganore. No Jews there.

When we practiced for graduation, I was put in the back. Next to...shoot! I forget his name.... I was second to last. He was last. I have a picture with him from after graduation. Shoot!
I left my cap and gown behind stage. I walked from my house on 2nd street. Missed the processional. Snuck in the back entrance. Put on my cap and gown. Took my seat - no one in the audience - except my family - ever knew. They drove over after the holiday was over. In time to see me have my name called and walk to the middle of the stage. I put my arms in the air and yelled, "I DID IT!!!!!" My mother was mortified.
Went home. Made havdalah, changed, and got picked up by Matt W in his truck!! I loved that truck! I think I loved Matt W then, too!

Drove up to Derrick M's house for the after party. A lot of details I remember, a lot I can't. A lot my diary remembers, a lot I can't write here...

It was a night to remember.
I am still so thankful to the friends I made and have kept.

26 years.
A lifetime ago.
Now I live on a yishuv in Israel with my husband and children.
Who would've thunk?!?!

1 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Glenn E said...

Hello my friend.

My how time has flown by. You remember so much more that day than I could ever.

Thank you for this wonderful flashback to a time when we were ALL on top of the world. It's funny, I turned on the TV and wouldn't you know it, One Hit Wonders of the '80's. How cool is that?

Looking forward to our next mini-reunion!

We'll have to reminisce about Derrick's party.

Love,
Glenn E

 

Post a Comment

<< Home