Sunday, December 26, 2004

An old saying...revised

"If Momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy" - It's an old saying. Not sure where it came from, but I believe it to be very true!

After this past Shabbat, though, I'd like to revise the saying to, "If child ain't happy, Momma ain't happy!"

My 15-year-old, DB is going through typical teenage angst on top of being a new oleh (immigrant) in a new school. But, to me it feels so much worse. This is a kid who rarely ever complained about anything, got along with everyone and acclimated to any environment. Suddenly, he is expressing himself.

He unsettled.
He told me he can't express himself at school. He doesn't have much in common with the other boys.
The learning is hard.
He cried.
I wanted to, but knew I had to stay strong.
So I closed my door after, and haven't stopped crying for him.
Always when Ari is not here.
Ari will think I blew things out of proportion when I try to explain it to him. He will say I am creating a crisis.
Ari wasn't here.
He wasn't here to witness our son hiccuping in tears trying to express himself clearly to me.
He came to me. DB came to me Friday night on his way out the door and said, "Imma, I need to talk to you."
I sat up.
He started to cry.
His Rav asked him if he talks to girls. My DB didn't lie. Now he wishes he did lie. Because now he thinks they don't like him.
He's a good kid! Anyone who knows him knows that!
He's a mensch. He's not trouble.
The poor kid just wants to be able to learn gemorrah!
It's effecting his self-esteem.

And I? I feel so helpless...

I just don't know what to do.

I'm feeling the teenage angst....all over again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home