Monday, January 17, 2005

Nothing to write

I'm writing now only because I feel I have to.

But I have nothing to write about.

OK, that's not completely true, of course, but since instating my two new rules, I've lost my creativity to write anything of much substance.

Maybe it's just the day - or week?

I'll snap out of it soon. I always do.

I need to sleep more

And to stop eating chocolate!

Talked to two "old" friends tonight. Comfort people. Always makes me feel better.

One of them, I'll call him Mike, is here on a shul mission with 2 of his kids. When I spoke to him, he was on his way from Tzfat back to Jerusalem. I asked Mike when the last time he was in Israel. The last time was 1986, when I was in seminary. I had a life altering experience there, that time, with him and his brother. I reminded him of our trip - him, his brother and I - to Tzfat. I was feeling rather rebellious that trip. When we pulled into the bus station, I pulled off my skirt and put on a pair of sweat pants. We walked around the holy city of Tzfat. We came to the holy synagogue of the Arizal, but the shomer (watchman) wouldn't let me in because I wasn't dressed properly. He said something to the point of, "Only Jewish women are allowed into the Arizal's shul." I don't remember exactly anymore what he said, but what I remember is that I felt very hurt. I was a Jewish woman. I was. I was just feeling a bit rebellious and decided to change my clothes for the day.

That experience changed my attitude towards dressing modestly forever. (It might not make much sense reading it from here, but I remember it making an impact!)
What’s important here is I asked Mike if he remembered that trip? He said he remembered two things. "Oh yeah, I remember that you weren't sure if you wanted to share a motel room with us and that you got very upset when the guy wouldn't let you into the Arizal shul. They'd let you in there today, don’t worry!"

Anybody else ever have a memory validated by another person? Someone else who was there. Someone who you haven't spoken to in a very long time and then when you do you remember the time you spent together 18 years ago, and they remember the same thing you do?

It was so validating for me! Thanks Mike!

OK...

So I found something to write about!

P.S. Happy Birthday 2nd Big Brother!

1 Comments:

At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another of G-d's messengers - we just have to be looking for it.
BB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home