Friday, September 16, 2005

And where were MB and DB?

Very good question!

In MB’s case, I have a better idea. With very suspicious giggles, MB went to meet her friend Illanit for a picnic at 8:15 PM. She made a salad, put a bottle of coke in a bag and left to meet her friend (who is DB’s age) at the park. In her words, “We were bored and decided to have a picnic.” I figured she couldn’t get into too much trouble; she has no school the next day, why not?

She came home with the same giggles and not surprisingly announced that other people joined them. Whatever?!

DB, on the other hand, is another story!

At 11:00 pm Wednesday night, as I was anxiously preparing for my workshop, DB came down the steps and said, “Oh Imma, by the way, my class is taking an all night tiyul tomorrow night.”

Me: OH, BY THE WAY?!?!

DB: Yeah, we get out of school at 7, and then have to meet at Har Herzl (the military cemetery in Jerusalem) at 11. We are going somewhere and we’ll be back around 8 in the morning.

Me: (becoming even more anxious) Um, DB? Is there any kind of permission slip I have to sign? Information to the parents about where you are going and who’s taking you? You’re going SOMWHERE? And I’m just supposed to let you go? What are you going to do until 11 PM?

DB: (In that exasperated teenage voice) Imma! This is Israel. I’m going with my class; the Rebbe is going with us. And we’ll probably go to the mall and see a movie until 11.

Me: And I’m supposed to be okay with this?

DB: Yeah Imma, this is Israel. It’s not like in America. I’ll be fine.

And it so it is.

I called my wonderful cousin D who has a son in the same class to ask if she knew anything about this. With both of us laughing hysterically, she assured me (after finding out about it from her son!) that they do this kind of thing once in awhile and they will be fine. They are a great group of boys and not to worry. D called me a couple hours later to tell me that DB had been to her house with her son (they live in Jerusalem), they had gotten something to eat and drink and were off to the movies.

“D, I’m supposed to be okay with the fact that I have no idea what movie my son is seeing nor where he’s going to be all night?”

That’s right!

It is now 8:00 am. I have not heard from DB all night and have no idea where he is. In America, I would be an irresponsible mother. Here, I’ll be a nagging mother if I call him. I have tried to teach him to call me to check in, but for some reason he doesn’t. I don’t think he is the kind of kid to hide, and therefore not call. I just don’t think he thinks about it.

So I’ll wait a little longer, and then the American mom in me will just call…

I’ll keep you posted as to where he was and what he did!

Give me strength!

1 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Special Ed said...

this post is alot like one from last year

 

Post a Comment

<< Home