Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My love - hate relationship with Purim

As much as I love the holiday of Purim. I really hate it! (Sorry Mom, no other word to use!)

In short:

I LOVE:
- the weather
- the fun and excitement in the air
- the celebrations
- the costumes (there are some very creative people out there!)
- baking hamantashen – only poppy seed this year
- making M’shaloach Manot
- making my own seudah (missed that this year!)
- the singing and words of Torah at the seudah
- rereading the story of Esther and marveling at what the Jewish people have been through. And how strong we continue to be.
- vacation time

I HATE:
- the money spent on M’shaloach Manot
- the stress to get the costumes together for my kids
- the stress to make it to megillah reading on time and hear every word
- the alcohol and the drinking
- worrying about my teenagers and their friends drinking
- not having a completely “Torahdik” seudah
- expectations for behavior
- feeling out of control
- my husband passing out at the end of the night


Someday life will either be exactly the way I want it, or I will be mature enough to accept it just the way it is…



P.S. I apologize for all the Hebrew terminology. Send me an email or comment if you want something clarified.

6 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please define "seudah." I'm a recent convert to Judaism and don't recall what this means, though I know that I learned it at some point! Thanks.

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to remember years ago, 3 fine young women sitting at a seudah, in Balt., with various bottles of "spirits" in front of them...remember those days?
Spaz

 
At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SB, I think you complain too much.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that most mothers and wives have a hate relationship with purim while most children and husbands have a love relationship with it. Jusy my observation.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Anonymous #1: "Seudah" means "meal," and usually refers to an obligatory, festive meal on a Jewish holiday. In this case, it's a mitzvah to have a festive meal on Purim, at which traditionally people drink a lot, in addition, ideally, to talking about Torah, singing, admiring each other's costumes, making funny jokes, etc.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon, that's odd, because i found that more girls like it than guys. I guess it's just who we hear about. sometimes it's more this way and sometimes it's more that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home