Monday, October 11, 2004

I just sent him on a tiyul - Part 2

So you wanna know what happened? I almost forgot to tell you. You are not going to believe this...On the other hand, maybe you will!!

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, skip ahead a couple blogs to the first part of "I just sent him on a tiyul"- I don't know how to link you there myself yet...read it and then come back to this.)

It was 3 AM when I finally climbed into bed. I still hadn't heard from DB so I figured I would send him a quick text message. It read, "Assuming you got on the bus. Have fun. B safe. Love you!" Sent it, waited 2-3 minutes and was just about to send a second text - the phone was in my hand - saying, jokingly, "Unless you're wondering the streets."
When my phone rang. DB, on the other end, saying, "Hi Imma, I'm outside, can you let me in?"
(How many of you are laughing now?!)

Yup! My boy, my teenage boy, decided for himself that if he didn't get on the bus, how would I know and he'd just stay out with his friends. His excuse was that his madrich felt bad for the kids that didn't get on the bus - because they weren't signed up to begin with - and decidied to make them a kumzits. I never confirmed it, but it didn't really matter.

I was floored! I let him into the house and sent him straight to bed with a very clear message of, "I am the parent, you are the child. I make the rules. You don't get to do whatever you want. When you're a parent, you can make your own rules. But as a child you still have to answer to a parent. Next time you call me and let me decide whether or not I will let you stay out. You don't get to do whatever you want!"

Phew!! I think we're still friends. He realizes he messed up.

How'd I handle that one? Think he'll do it again?

G-d, give me strength!!