Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Try Try again

I have tried twice, with great entries written, to publish an updated blog, only to loose it in the cyberworld of my father’s computer when I send it to publish. This time I have written and saved this posting onto his desktop in order to keep my frustration level to a minimum.

So what did I write before?

I don’t remember exactly.

I think I wrote about my uneventful flight, albeit it a horribly boring one. Never did I think I would complain about having 10 plus hours alone to myself. But 30,000 miles in the sky, with nowhere to go, was a little suffocating. I found myself taking care of everyone else’s kids and watching the same movies over and over again. The first time I saw “The Notebook”, I cried. After that…

I think I wrote about the drive into Manhattan with my good friend Sandra. We moved ahead slowly, allowing us extra catch-up time together.

I think I wrote about the dinner I had that lasted about 2 hours while friends just kept coming to say hello.

I think I wrote about the culture shock experience I had walking back to my friend’s house at 11 PM on a night when the Yankees were playing the Red Sox and feeling like I was NOT in friendly territory.

I think I wrote about Monday morning, when I walked my friends and her kids to their school and then sat in Starbucks on 93rd street and caught up some more with friends.

And I think I wrote about the wonderful 3 hours I spent walking the streets and shopping New York with my old college roommate and close friend. We took a cab down to Penn Station together so she could catch a train to Long Island, and me to Baltimore.

I wrote about all the hugs I received Monday night from Parents, Aunts, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters and most especially Grandparents. The feeling of unconditional love I had been missing from extended family.

That is what I think I wrote about.

Today I went shopping in the mall with my mom – haven’t done that in years!
I went out to dinner with my parents and grandparents.
And then went to watch the baseball game with my 91-year-old grandfather. Except for the ramifications from the caramel popcorn I ate, I’m feeling good!

So what, you might ask, has been the most significant thing I have noticed so far?

I am a communicator. I like to talk to people, sometimes strangers. In Israel, in Hebrew, I can’t. I can’t get the words out to tell the salesperson why I want to buy something. I can’t get the words out to talk to the man behind me in line. I can’t ask the cab driver to go around the corner, to a better drop off spot. I can’t talk to the cashier to ask her if she’s having a hard day and that’s why she looks so sad! I don’t understand the conversations going on around me, in Hebrew.

It’s isolating that way. I am appreciating being able to communicate.

Tonight, I was complaining to my grandmother about the cold, rainy and dreary day, and how much I love the daily sunshine in Israel. She asked me whether I liked Israel. “Do you really, really liked it there?”

Am I giving off vibes that say I don’t?

I better think about that.

In the meantime, I have more shopping to do and more friends and family to see.

Tomorrow is the day I have been waiting for: TARGET day!!

Happy day :)

2 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello SB. Husband and children miss you and love you and glad you made it saftely. Enjoy the family and your time. You deserve it! Love Me

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello SB. Husband and children miss you and love you and glad you made it saftely. Enjoy the family and your time. You deserve it! Love Me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home