Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Back to Reality Israel

I drove to Talpiot, Jerusalem this morning to take my car in for it’s 30,000-kilometer check up and oil change. I purposely drive into Jerusalem so I can go shopping while waiting for my car. No other reason! The IMAGA hat factory is right up the hill and I always get a great deal! And today was no exception.

But I digress. I only wanted to write a quick one tonight. I want to try to sleep more than 4 hours.

Today was my first real day back in Israeli society. Dealing with drivers on the road, store clerks ignoring me (NOT at Imaga!), my inability to communicate with store clerks, trying to get the drivers to stop for me at the crosswalk, standing in line without being acknowledged, not understanding what people are saying around me.

Being in the States was comfortable for me. I could be myself. I could shmooze with anyone who would listen. I could answer the store clerk. I could communicate my thoughts. I’m restrained here. I can’t communicate. I feel stupid.

I received a call tonight from a woman selling group tickets to a theatre in Tel Aviv. Right away she could tell my Hebrew wasn’t so great. And she said in her broken English, “I wanted to sell you tickets, but all the shows are in Hebrew. Learn Hebrew and then next year I’ll call back.”
I thought, “Gosh! I hope I’ll be able to understand by next year!”

This is really hard for me.

I have so much respect for my children. Every day they sit through classes with their limited, but getting-better-everyday Hebrew. I don’t know how they do it! They are incredible!

I know it’s normal and if I’m motivated (which I am), it will get better. But right now…it’s really hard!

Good night,
Wish me good luck sleeping…






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home