Friday, January 21, 2005

Have to write about this

And begin by saying that it is very upsetting!

I am just sick over it.

In today's Jerusalem Post, there was a front page write up about four American Yeshiva students who were arrested for dealing drugs. And another one about a yeshiva kid who died of a heroin drug overdose.

As you can read, the article names the boys and their schools here in Israel. Is my reaction so strong because of the closeness in age of my children?

My children have alot of independence here. They are allowed to walk the streets of Jerusalem. At any given point, they could be approached by JEWISH KIDS offering them drugs.

That's the other part that's got me. These are "my kids" selling and buying and using drugs.

I asked my foster brother who is closer to this drug world than I, although he insists he doesn't use drugs, and I believe him. I asked him WHY? Why are these kids doing this?

He told me that in one of the Yeshivas that is listed in the article, one of the boys there made over $100,000 last year selling drugs. If the boys want money, this is how they get it.

Without any thought of the consequence.

MB came home and heard me talking about the article on the phone with my foster bro. She got upset that the boys' names were listed in the paper.
"It's embarrassing," she said. "The parents will be embarrassed."
I explained to her very adamantly that kids need to know the reprecussions of their choices and behaviour.
I always called it the "It-ain't-gonna-happen-to-me" syndrome. And inevitably in some shape or form, it "will happen to you!"

Choices and consequences. My main motto.

Just because one kid made money off of the system, others think they can do it too. Without any thought of the effect it might have on their future, their families, their friends, their schools.

Why?

Where are the parents?

And so I get nervous. I am nervous for my children. They are good kids (B"H). But peer pressure is peer pressure. And it is very strong! I remember it well!

~~~~~~~

It's late and I need to get some sleep. Ari and I have a meeting at DB's school to discuss his possible move back up to 10th grade. I still have to make my soup and challah for Shabbat.

Shabbat is coming. We will all be home together with some extra of our "kids."

I need to pray more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home