Tuesday, January 18, 2005

NED wrote a book report!

This is monumental!

With NED's permission I would like to share with you the process of the writing of this report.

Back when NED was in 5th grade (she's now in 7th), I realized that her ability to write book reports was a challenge. She always struggled with summarizing what she read without making up her own story. Our very good friend, Dana, who is a special education teacher, discovered that NED had some complex word processing difficulties and taught me how to help NED with her work. I will always be greatful to Dana for this help.

Fast forward. NED is finally in a school where they understand what a complex word difficulty means! And they know how to help her! It was worth moving to Israel just for that!

Last week NED tried to get away with turning in a book report she wrote in 5th grade, but we wouldn't allow it.(She admitted this to us, which we also were proud of her for.) It was a major blow up. Not something I enjoy with NED!

So NED stayed in all Shabbat and read a book called "Call Me Ruth," by Marilyn Sachs, which NED picked herself. She read it and actually enjoyed it.

In order for NED to talk to her friends on the phone again, she had to finish the book report herself.

And she has!

And I must say, I am very impressed with it!!

Most of it, she wrote by herself. I only tweeked a couple words and grammar things. She wrote an interview with the author, with some original questions and answers made up by her! No help!

The summary actually makes sense! She still needs help with proper English wording and grammar, but she followed a theme and made sense of it until the end.

I am so proud of her! And I have told her so!! (She has even read this post.)

Go NED!!!

It has been NED's educational history that she struggles through the first 3/4 of the year in school and then something clicks and she gets it at the end. Even though it's a little early this year, we must be entering the last 1/4 of the year. This is so huge, I can't even begin to tell you. When she finds the right book, she actually enjoys reading.

NED can now go back to talking on the phone to her friends. And I can pat myself on my parental back for not giving in to the easy way out.

sigh...

-----------------
P.S. If you wanna read the book report, send me an email and I'll send it to you. It's really great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home