Monday, August 08, 2005

What is an Expressive Arts Therapist?

Several people have emailed or left comments for me asking, “What exactly is an Expressive Arts Therapist?”

What I usually tell people in simplistic terms is that I am a psychotherapist who uses more creative ways for expression. I was trained in art, music, movement, psychodrama, journal writing, and any other kind of creative expression one can think of. I use a lot of visual imagery also.

I believe deeply in the power of the arts in healing. Any of you who like to draw or dance or write, (especially if you are a blog writer) know how therapeutic expressing yourself can be.

People get lost in speaking words. Using the arts as a process can be a much deeper, and a much more powerful experience.

It took me awhile to find my professional self. But now that I have been working more and more, it feels very natural and real for me.

What is interesting is that being an Expressive Therapist meant something very different in the United States than it does here in Israel. In the US, the mental health field was pretty much skeptical of the expressive arts. I had to constantly prove myself as a clinician and NOT as the in-house art teacher.

Here in Israel, mental health professionals are much more open to this type of therapy. I can even get licensed here as an expressive therapist, whereas in the US, I could only have had been licensed as an LMHC (licensed mental health counselor).

I am about to give my third workshop on the benefits of the expressive arts here in Israel. My last two workshops were very well received and because of them I have begun to earn myself a very nice reputation.

I can’t really explain why I think Israel is more open to this type of therapy, but lucky for me, it seems to be very accepting.

I don’t especially love the jokes people tell, like, “If you’re upset, just draw a picture.”

But I know most of it comes from ignorance about what I actually do or people’s own discomfort about the mental health field.

I look forward to being able to have a private office in my new home here in Israel, where I can run expressive arts groups for teens, writing groups for women, new mother’s groups, and psychodrama workshops for families.

I appreciate the talents G-d has granted me and hope that through these talents, I am able to help heal the pain and confusion so many people suffer from.

Any more questions?

1 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was enlightening. Missing you all over here.
Love
BB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home