Friday, August 04, 2006

Tisha B'av tears

I cried today.
Mostly because I couldn't cry. I haven't cried.

I cried today.
Because I should cry. And I don't.

I feel sad.

Sad for the Jewish people. Sad for all those who are lost. Sad for all those who don't even know it.

I feel sad for the country. A country at war. In fear. Unsafe. Scared.

I feel sad because I am not a good enough mother. I cannot teach my children to have the passion I wish them to have. I want them to know and feel the passion that I feel.

I want to be able to love them unconditionally. And I do. I just know their potential. I see their spark. I see their fear.

I want my children to live the truth I see and understand.

I want to be the kind of mother who can teach by example. With love. And acceptance. All the time. I want my children to be good people. G-d fearing. G-d loving. G-d living.

Why can't I seem to figure it out?

Tisha B'av is a sad day for the Jewish people.

It's a good thing we aren't supposed to be this sad ever day!

On to another beautiful Shabbat...

4 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I want my children to be good people. G-d fearing. G-d loving. G-d living.

But . . . THEY ARE!

They are good people. GREAT people.

And they are the most G-d fearing, loving, and living teenagers I've ever met.

Maybe they don't feel as much passion as you do, because you are a super-duper-passionate person in general. A person whose emotions don't run as incredibly deep as yours do won't feel as passionate as you do about ANYTHING.

Seems to me that your kids are as passionate about G-d as any healthy teenagers can be.

Relax!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Karban Nesanel said...

"I feel sad because I am not a good enough mother. I cannot teach my children to have the passion I wish them to have. I want them to know and feel the passion that I feel."

ok SarahB, surriously, do you really think you're not a good mother? PUHLEEZ! you're a great mother. maybe sometimes its hard to see for yourself, but i see it -- and im hardly ever there!

and yeah, what sarah said.

have a great shabbos.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger K said...

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all in Israel and there are so many of us who do support you all.

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sarah,
You won't remember/know me but I was in your class at TJ High School my name then was Tobi Unglebower. I started reading your blog after the emails came to me from the Class webpage, to see what someone who was there had to say about the war. I didn't intend to keep reading your blog or to ever post a comment but this post of yours echoed so much the way I feel too. I'm not Jewish so I can't relate to your posts about some things but all the stuff about your children and how you feel as a mother. I have four children -ages 14, 12, almost 3 and just turned 1. My 12 yr. old son is over weight and I have trouble with that also. Anyway, we were never friends in high school but I just had to comment on this post and I like reading your blog-it gives me a different perspective. This is long and I'm sorry for that. I will end with saying that I'm sure we are both great mothers because we wouldn't be asking these questions and having these doubts if we weren't.
Stay Safe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home