Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sittin' here thinkin'

I am writing this post from the corner booth in Tal Bagels, on Emek Refaim Street in Jerusalem.

My car is in the shop - the air conditioner is as moody as I am! So as I wait for it to be fixed, I decided to try to get some work done.

I sit here with my (actually Ari's) laptop open, typing away, feeling very upscale, and actually getting work done.

I'm distracted by the voices around me, especially the woman from Atlanta, who is definetly an Evangelical Christian, sitting across from me.

I am trying to work on a project, but I am stuck. I have this great idea, but I am having difficulty putting the idea into anything concrete, in writing.

I want to run a series of workshops in the post-high school seminaries here. I have an idea of using the expressive therapies to discuss ideas of self-esteem, self-awareness, identity, etc.

My problem is that I am not a business person who knows how to go about doing this. If the seminaries were to call me and ask me to come in and run something, I'd be happy to. But having to come up with something in order to sell myself and and an idea that is attractive enough to have them want me, is challenging.

So I sit here, looking for ideas on the internet, trying to brainstorm ideas to help me.

What is keeping me stuck with this? Why am I not just writing it up, having it all organized to present to the schools, and going out there and doing it?

I guess I just need more hand holding. This is one of those things - I know my strengths. Running the groups is a strength. Coming up with the ideas and getting myself hired is not.

Any ideas?

3 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your last paragraph about knowing your strengths, needing the hand-holding, etc is so right on. I'm the exaxt same way. Somehow, I get paralayze in the beginning - but once it's going, I do fine. I'm sure you are surrounded by a great support system of friends, colleagues and family that will help you be successful with the project.

Just sit with these feelings, frustrations, and anxieties and think that if this was an example in your workshop, how would you go about having the students embracing and solving it.

 
At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey little Sis. I can help you create this program. SKYPE me so we can put it together! BB#2

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BB#1 here! I find that I am most successful presenting ideas as a story in capturing people's interests more so than straight facts-similar to what jaime wrote.
Great idea though!
I'd also speak with SIL S.A. who might have some leads for you at the Sems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home